Delicia R.
  • Ontario , California
Votes |
Hoarder Tenant

Delicia R.
  • Ontario , California
Posted Oct 27 2014, 14:42

Hi 

Im currently in the escrow process of buying my first multifamily property. Its a beautiful triplex w a large yard, green grass n shady trees. New wood cabinets w granite countertops n wood floors. I think it was a large house converted into a duplex n then the 3rd unit was added on. All units are 1bd n 1bth. The first unit is currently rented to an older man who works for the electric company n is said to pay hes rent on time every month. I had the appraisal n inspection done this past Friday n was finally able to see the first unit. It turns out this tenant is a hoarder! His entire unit is stuffed w mountain s of mail, trash n dirty clothes ceiling high! Not only that but a powerful smell of cat urine from the 7 cats i counted as they ran passed me when i entered the front door! No room to walk let alone sit down or sleep! He said he hasnt seen the stove in over 10yrs! The paint is peeling, the walls r cracked, the tiles r falling off in te bathroom shower probably from the leak he said he hasnt fixed which my inspector says is the cause of a huge amount of water under the unit! Did I mention the mold everywhere? Even his curtains which were pinned shut from the mountains falling over! Im still in shock! The tenant has now been told to clean up so the inspector (who threw up) can come back n properly inspect the unit. The tenant is uncooperative. The seller doesn't want to evict the tenant until he knows I'm buying. My question now is what can i do? Im really interested in the property but I don't know what kind of damage is done in the unit or how much money it would cost to fix it. The seller only offered to pay for the units bathroom shower leak n credit me 3,000 for repairs! Im no expert but im sure that the unit needs a mold inspector, n to b possibly gutted out. Please help! 

Loading replies...