• Rental Property Investor
  • Jersey Shore
Votes |
Suggestions on how to refinance a non-preforming 5 unit apartment

Gregg Reinbold
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jersey Shore
Posted Jan 31 2015, 18:24

I am looking for ideas on how to refinance my five unit apartment building. I have never been able to get a good appraisal on the property.  It is a mixed property that includes the 5 unit apartment and a 4,400 sq foot warehouse.  I bought the property in 1992.  At the time it was just the warehouse and an old barn.  My father and I built the five apartments in the barn. New electric, plumbing new everything.   I lived in one of the apartments for about twenty years.   I have always had difficulty time getting an  appraisal on the property, What would you comp a 1.5 acre lot with a barn /apartment and warehouse too? kind of a rare bird.   I hired a property manager to manage the property the last time I was overseas.  by December 2013 all five units were rented. (My mom and I had both moved, so we had a couple of empty units). Once all five units were rented my plan was to season the apartments for a few months thinking that I could get an appraisal based on cash flow of commercial property.  Tragically one of the tenants committed suicide the next month in Jan 2014.  Then 3 of the remaining tenants seemed to get discouraged and stopped paying rent.  I finally had to evict all 3 of them.  My property manager seemed to lose interest in managing the property and I finally had to fire her.   So I seem to be back where I was a few years ago.  no way to get a fair appraisal on the property.  

Loading replies...