• Rental Property Investor
  • Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Votes |
Student Housing: Studios & Universities

Shane Pearlman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Posted May 26 2015, 22:47

I am looking at an opportunity in Minneapolis (north of como) a few blocks from the University of Minnesota. Decent building and a lot of the big capital expenditures (roof, boiler, windows...) have been recently upgraded. The building has 10 studios, 5 one bedrooms and 1 two bedroom. The deal appears to have solid upside.

All of my experience is with 3br and 2brs. I have always seen the 1br and studio units as the same work for less money. With the exception of major city cores (Seattle & SF where my wife and I have most of my properties), they seem to also attract a lower income & higher turnover demographic. 

How does this play out within walking distance of a university? If mom and dad are paying the bills and a hefty deposit / odds are very high of 1+yr tenants due to student lifecycle, do I need to factor higher repair / turnover than usual? Are studios actually attractive to the student demographic? I always remember wanting to share with people for social reasons.

Anyone deep into the student housing side of the business and can share their experience?

Loading replies...