BiggerPockets

How much does a new 4 Plex Cost?

Forum Powered By:

6 posts by 5 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Mike Dricken

Multi-family Investor from Marion, Iowa

Mar 08 '12, 07:02 PM

Does anybody have a ballpark figure of what a 4 plex would cost to build new in the midwest? Any price/sqft. figures? I've seen some new 4 plexes going up in my area lately. I think the key is getting the land at a low price.

David Wedemire

Real Estate Investor from Bellingham, Washington

Mar 08 '12, 08:50 PM

I'm not a contractor but it all depends on many factors. I find in my area it has been consistently $55 to $65 per sq ft. That can be different depending on the area of the mid-west

Jon Klaus Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Mar 09 '12, 04:50 AM

David's numbers of $55-65 a square foot are possible in an area with cheap labor and low beaurocracy. Not including the land of course. I've kicked around the idea of building a 4 plex in my area, but the numbers just don't support it yet. The main thing is existing units are too cheap to compete with.

The exception would be for a great location. But then the price of the land kills it. That's my area. However, there are definately places that would support new 4-plexes.

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 214-929-6545

Nathan Emmert

Multi-family Investor from South Jordan, Utah

Mar 09 '12, 06:30 AM

I'm with Jon, at least for my area... I can buy rentals for $35k a unit and those are generally 600 - 1,000 square feet. Not sure how anyone could build new in this climate in my area. Even in Salt Lake county units are $45 - 60k. You'd have to get an absolute steal on the land, not that there is much, and would still be incurring a big risk just to hit the market price for existing... why bother?

Mike H.

Real Estate Investor from Manteno, Illinois

Mar 09 '12, 12:37 PM

Just a follow up to this then. What kind of down payment would you be looking at for a fourplex at 250k? Could you do 2 fourplexes at once for 500k and qualify for a commercial loan? I know 1-4 units are typically considered residential.

What kind of down payment would you be looking at for an 8 plex? 20% More? Any creative programs to get in at 10%?

Mike Dricken

Multi-family Investor from Marion, Iowa

Mar 09 '12, 12:45 PM

I imagine the risk building a new 4 plex in a developed location would be much less than taking over a 50 year old building. Less money spent on repairs, it would attract the highest rents in the area and have the lowest vacancies. Who doesn't want to live in a new, modern building? The lower risk tends to push the return down and therefore the price up.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums