• Sugar Land, TX
Votes |
Houston Apartment - 29 units

Chris Bounds
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sugar Land, TX
Posted Mar 24 2013, 18:08

Ok BPers. I said in a post a while back I'd post the numbers on a small apartment complex that I am pursuing. Here they are. Comments are welcome:

Purchase Price: $325,000
Units: 29
Mix: all one bed/bath (one efficiency)
Structure: 2 two-story buildings
Current rent: $500
Vacancy: 45% (16 vacant units)
GOI: $95k
NOI: $37k (seller's info)

My estimated repairs:
Interior (vacant units): $80,000 - mostly cosmetic with new appliances and window A/C units.
Exterior: TBD (new balcony railing $8000 + updated electrical (units have gas stove hookups currently), siding repair, and paint, possible dry wood termite treatment)

Potential 1 year outlook:
Vacancy: 11% (conservative)
Rent: $550 ($450 for efficiency)
NOI: $169k
GOI: $59.7k

The only two pending snags for me on this deal are: cost for termite treatment and cost for electrical upgrading. The termite issue is the big one for me. I hear fumigation is not cheap. Also, I'd have to vacate one building to treat it. That means either they have to move out or I have to renovate units for them to move into first - which means more upfront cost. The occupied units all need work ($60k estimated), but I had planned on doing them progressively after filling the vacant units. Even still this seems like a heck of a deal, but with my funds it could be a deal breaker - unless the seller is open to renegotiating.

Comments, suggestions, advice?

Loading replies...