Votes
Jeff M.
  • Allston, MA
Votes |
Getting Variances to Self-Build Single Family Home in Boston

Jeff M.
  • Allston, MA
Posted Apr 7 2014, 07:10

My plan is to self-build a single family home for myself in Allston/Brighton and I found a parcel of land with a shack on it. The owner expressed interest in selling to me and I am going to negotiate a contract where we set the price, but I don't buy until after I get the variances approved. It is zoned for residential and I could fit a small house on it, but because it doesn't meet the minimum lot size requirement, it would also violate other dimensional requirements. Once built, the house would fit in with the neighborhood since many existing houses and parcels violate the current requirements in a similar manner.

I visited the zoning clinic and understood the general idea that I need to draw up plans and convince the neighbors and other residents that show up to my appeal hearing. I plan to do as much as I can myself, but I realize some things need to be done by licensed professionals. I am going back to the zoning clinic to gain a more detailed understanding, but I am also seeking any advice or insight from the awesome BiggerPockets community on any part of this process, especially how to get the variances. Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...