Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Nhi Nguyen
  • Contractor / Flipper
  • Hayward, CA
Votes |
Multiple lots development in San Jose: anticipated 30% return in 1.5 years. Your gut feeling?

Nhi Nguyen
  • Contractor / Flipper
  • Hayward, CA
Posted Nov 4 2014, 06:34

Greetings everyone.

As some of you know, I'm building a new house in San Jose, documented here: http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/522/topics/154... , which scheduled to be finished in a couple of months.  So I'm itching to look for a similar project.

I'm really passionate about spec homes and major addition projects in better neighborhoods in the Bay Area ($300+/sqft).  That's why on my hunt for projects to line up after I finish the current, my cousin (broker) introduced me to the following.  

I've been reading on this sub-forum that some of you been suggesting to keep the return at least 20% to make sure it's worth the time & effort.  Please give inputs/advice on this deal.

+ High overview numbers:

- Land acquisition: ~$2M

- Soft cost: $600k

- Construction cost: $2M-$2.25M

- Sale price: $7.2M

- Closing costs: $850K

- Net return: $6.35M - ($4.6M-$4.85M) = $1.75M-$1.5M

==> %of return: ~30-35%

His office wants to structure as follow, roughly:

+ Partnership structure:

- Broker firm (owner of project): up to 50%

- Max 6 partners, preferably less

- Min to enter: $500K

- Min for project to start: $1.5M from partners other than the broker firm.

I would be both investing and building the project to have my skin in the game.  It's a 6 units subdivision that has all plans approved waiting for permits to be pulled (I'll verify with the building department this week).

So, those who have a better sense of market condition in the next year or so for Bay Area - Silicon Valley: what's your gut feeling about this project?

Anything I should check/know in term of paperwork, legal documents, structure of the partnership, etc...  ?  

I'm talking to some of my clients to see if they're interested in joining.  So I'd like to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before asking.

Thank you.

Loading replies...