• Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Diary of a Rental Property

J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorPosted Jan 25 2014, 17:41

I had a blast writing my Diary of a New Construction Project thread, and the feedback I got from that was great. So, I've decided to try another one...this time tracking and discussing the ongoing saga of a rental property that I'm in the process of buying, rehabbing and renting out.

A few details about this project and thread:

• I'm not a professional landlord, and while I've had a couple rental properties in the past, they were all short-term and relatively turn-key (I didn't have to do much for the short time I owned them). This time, I'm looking to hold some properties longer-term, and the one I will be discussing in this thread will be my first longer-term property.
  • Because I expect this to be a longer-term hold, I expect this thread could continue for a quite a while. Obviously, I won't have stuff to post everyday (especially once the house is rehabbed and in service), but I'll try to follow-through for as long as possible, and hopefully until the end of the project, whenever that is.
  • I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to holding long-term rentals, so I'm guessing this thread will be more of a "what not to do" thread, as opposed to a "what to do" thread. That said, I'm open to all constructive critique, and hopefully advice, opinions and feedback I get in this thread will actually help me to be more successful.
  • I will, of course, post as much detail about the project as feasible, without risking giving away anything inappropriate about tenants, etc. I'll try to provide all documents, invoices, pictures, budgets, schedules and financials down-to-the-penny, so everyone will know just how well (or how badly) this project goes. Maybe we'll even get some insight into the "50% Rule" while tracking a real life project.
  • I have a partner on this project. It's a good friend of mine, and I'll likely be referring to him throughout the thread. Let's call him "Brian"...which makes sense, since that's his name.
  • This "diary" is going to start in the past, when I first found the house. I've been keeping notes in anticipation of starting this thread, and I imagine I'll be caught up to real-time in the next couple weeks. But, you'll notice that the dates on the first several posts will be in the past, and that's why.

Please feel free to ask any questions, provide any advice or give any opinions throughout the thread. I may not listen to all of them, but I always appreciate the feedback.

Now, on to the thread...

Loading replies...