Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Clark
  • Lehi, UT
Votes |
When a Negative Turns into a Positive. Let's Hear Your Stories.

Tyler Clark
  • Lehi, UT
Posted Aug 27 2014, 17:24

A few months ago, I had a house I was getting ready to put on the market.  It happened to be the largest house in the area, on the largest lot in the area.  I ran some comps, made adjustments based on size and came up with what I thought would be a reasonable listing price.  

I interviewed a handful of agents, and was told by all of them that the price I wanted to list at was too high. The additional square footage did not add much additional value since homes in the neighborhood typically sold in a particular price range. Basically, it was overbuilt for the neighborhood. Some aspects of this argument seemed to make sense to me, but I still wanted to see if I could get the higher price I had previously calculated. So I listed it FSBO.

In 4 weeks I had over a dozen showings, multiple offers, and ended up closing for more than our original listing price.  What I learned was there were a lot of people already living in this neighborhood who wanted to stay, but had outgrown their home, and were willing to pay a premium for something larger.  What I though was initially a negative turned out to be a positive.

Let's here your stories of when you thought of something as being a negative and it actually turned into a positive.

Loading replies...