BiggerPockets

Buying house on contract (need help!)...

Forum Powered By:

5 posts by 3 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

N/A N/A

Dec 02 '07, 08:15 PM

Hi,

I'm currently buying a house on contract here in Indiana from someone, and 4 months into the purchase, we're getting nickel and dimed to death on repairs (new plumbing for clogged drains, hot water heater going out, etc.).

My question...

Is it my responsibility to pay for a new hot water heater (around $1500) for our house, or do I have some recourse so that the actual owner pays for it?

We had no warranty, or anything, so I assume it's up to me to do it since we're buying the house, but thought I'd ask for feedback from anyone willing to help.

Money's tight right now with 2 house pmts and Christmas for 4 kids, so this couldn't have happened at a worse time for us.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Andy in Indiana

Edited Jun 26 2010, 04:19

Account Closed

Real Estate Investor from Chicago, Illinois

Dec 02 '07, 08:41 PM

Well, let me just start by talking about how Contract for Deed works. Let's say you set up 30 years of payments or 360 total payments. Each time you make a payment you get 1/360th of the ownership.

Since you BOUGHT THE HOUSE this way, you are an owner, and responsible for the repairs.

You now own 4/360ths or 1/90th of the house congrats!!!!

How is the market these days down in Indy?

N/A N/A

Dec 02 '07, 08:50 PM

Thanks, Ryan. That's what I thought.

We're actually buying it on a 1-year contract (we have that long to get financing, but they have the option to extend it past that year, if necessary).

The market is horrible in my neck of the woods. Small town about 40 miles outside of Indy. Definite buyers market. Many homes listed with Realtors, sales are very slow. Numerous foreclosures.

Thanks,

Andy

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Dec 02 '07, 08:55 PM

Yep, exactly. You bought it, its your responsibility to maintain. It would be the same if you had conventional financing.

You did have it inspected before you bought it, right? This is the sort of thing an inspector might have noted.

Nickling and diming you is what houses do. For rentals, landlords figure they will spend 10% of the rent each month for routine maintenance. You need to budget a similar amount, since, as you're finding, houses are always having something go wrong.

$1500 is a lot for a hot water heater, assuming you mean the hot water heater and not the boiler for hot water heat. They're a couple hundred at HD or Lowe's, depending on quality and size. They're not difficult to install. If you have a bid from a plumber for $1500, I'd get some more bids.

Jon

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Account Closed

Real Estate Investor from Chicago, Illinois

Dec 02 '07, 09:35 PM

Andy,

I have heard about a ton of foreclosures there. The question I have, is what is the rental market like for those houses?

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums