• Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Votes |
Simplisafe review- Alarm System

Shawn Thom
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Posted Sep 30 2014, 18:49

I don't know if I'm allowed to post this type stuff so feel free to delete it.  I do not work for nor get any $$ from simplisafe.

I've been mentioned that I thought about using simplisafe alarm system so i thought I'd pull the trigger.  For those that don't know it is an alarm system you can install yourself.  It is wireless and has a cellular uplink to a monitoring service.

I ordered a refurbished model which has been problematic initially.  The website says you can have it up and running in minutes.  My keypad wasn't properly linked to my cell base station.  Their customer service was able to fix that but it took a few hours.

The devices definitely seem more cheaply made than the alarm I have at home, but it does work.  My goal is 2 fold.  One, obviously have an alarm.  The door sensors work without issue.  the motion detector is definitely less sensitive than my home alarm.  Second, keep track of my workers coming and going.   Simplisafe has an option where you can get a page or email when the system is alarmed and disarmed, therefore letting you know when they come and go.  For example, I know today at 3:58pm the workers showed up because the code I gave them was inputted.  I know they are still there at 8:38pm because system is disarmed.  I also have a seperate one for the bank and another one I will give realtors.  that theory only works if your workers etc are good about rearming it.  This level of service is approx $15 month which is right in line with what I pay for home.

Another option I chose to pay a little extra for was remote management.  From my iphone or internet I can change the configs of the alarm (add a code, change entry and exit delays) and I can also turn on or off the system.  I think that is a pretty cool feature.  With this add on it bumps up price to $25 month.

My goal was to exclude this system from the home sale and move it to the next job.  I THOUGHT the kind of tape you stick these things to the wall was the kind that lets you remove it easily.... Well one torn hole in the sheetrock later I found out that was not the case.  I installed this one on the tail end of the project.  On future jobs, I plan on just getting a 5 gallon bucket, filling it with some cement, putting a 2X4 in it and mounting a motion sensor or 2, the keypad and having the base unit somewhere in the house.  That way it is easy to get out the way when they are working, and easy to put back.  I haven't tested that theory, so it may work out as well as removing the sticky tape from the wall. :(

You can add all sorts of stuff to it like glass breakage, motion sensors, H20 sensors, CO2 sensors, smoke detectors etc.

I bought the complete system for approx $190.  It came with cell base station, keypad, 1 motion, 2 door entry.  I am kind of paranoid security nut so the cost was worth me being able to worry less.

Loading replies...