• Rental Property Investor
  • Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Votes |
The END of the Suburbs?

Shane Pearlman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Posted Dec 4 2014, 21:21

With an eye to the future, should we really be buying in remote suburbs, or is that like investing in VHS rental shop in a digital age? I’m seeing what looks like a massive urbanization trend.

I am a buy and holder. Other people put their end of year profits and personal savings into 401k plans. My wife and I buy properties for the future. Putting aside the (highly important) factor of micro-environments for the purpose of this thread, we have been talking a lot about trends. Julie & I learned in 2008 the impact of macro trends. Before that we only thought locally, but seeing the how monetary policy shaped real estate and affected our personal bottom line the way it did, I'm raising my vision to keep an eye on larger forces. If and when the interest rates finally rise and inflation hits to correct market tampering, we'll find ourselves in a very different economic and real estate environment. I’m locking in as many long term low interest loans as I can. 

In the same way that I see a tidal wave of inflation, Julie and I have been watching a steady flow of wealthy people migrating to city cores. In the past 50+ years our poor lived in inner city ghettos and the wealthy escaped to their suburban McMansions. But we are personally experiencing an inversion. We invest in Seattle and I've watched neighborhoods go from hooker to hipster. In the bay area, where we live now, San Francisco rents and prices exploded, which overflowed into an Oakland renaissance. Where do the poor go? Further out to where they now can afford to live. It makes me wonder if the suburbs might just end up our new ghettos. I don't see large companies moving their HQs to suburbs as they did in the past, but rather closing their branches to centralize in major metros. Where the jobs go, people follow.

For the long term investor, where should we park our chips?

Loading replies...