BiggerPockets

What to do with 100,000 dollars?

Forum Powered By:

23 posts by 15 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Lee Melvin

Fayetteville, North Carolina

Feb 14 '13, 11:23 PM

I will be working abroad with 2-3 months off a year to go back to the states and look for an investment deal. Will have roughly 100,000 to invest in. I am thinking about purchasing a duplex or triplex. What is your thoughts? Would you go a different route? All suggestions and advice will be much appreciated.

Lee Melvin

Feb 15 '13, 12:06 AM

No set in stone goals right now. Just looking to make a good investment that will generate a solid cashflow.

William H.

Charlotte, North Carolina

Feb 15 '13, 05:27 AM
1 vote

I'm still an amatuer myself, but from everyting I've read setting a specific, defined goal is step #1. It should be very precise, like how much cash flow do you want to create in what timeframe.

Kurt K.

Real Estate Investor from Michigan

Feb 15 '13, 05:54 AM

I'd agree with what William H said. Most people have goals financially and that is why they invest in real estate (or anything else). Unless you love duplexes because they are duplexes. Find what your financial goals are, then properties that help you towards that goal.

Real Estate is just the VEHICLE to get you to your destination. You have to know where you are going before you know the best way to get there!!

Dawn Anastasi Verified Moderator

Real Estate Investor from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Feb 15 '13, 05:58 AM

Will you be looking just in NC or areas with higher profit potential? I think you would need to get more precise on what you want to do.

"If it makes dollars, it makes sense."

David Littleton

Renter from Kentucky

Feb 15 '13, 06:04 AM
2 votes

Make a down payment on a couple quads or any other rental and hire a property management company while you're gone. Easy money. Make sure you save enough for repairs.

Lee Melvin

Feb 15 '13, 08:27 AM

Id look in areas with the best deals / ROI.

Primarily looking for a good cashflow / good investment with 100,000-120,000 dollars.

Bryan H.

SFR Investor from Willow Spring, North Carolina

Feb 15 '13, 08:46 AM
1 vote

You could be a hard money lender. Make 3-4 points and 10-12% interest on your money. You don't need to own to profit.

Kurt K.

Real Estate Investor from Michigan

Feb 15 '13, 12:24 PM

No one can answer this for you. A duplex/quad/etc... doesn't matter. Just go buy the numbers and what is available in your area. Perhaps there is a quad in your area, but a duplex is selling at much better value. Seek out the value deals and the cash flow will follow. There isn't a "this is the best type of property" to buy. Each deal is specific to how unattractive/attractive it is.

Look at things for sale in your area, breakdown income/expenses...and the numbers will make the decision for you

George Paiva

Multi-family Investor from Milford, Connecticut

Feb 15 '13, 02:08 PM

Lee beside what others iterated you should mostly focus on your Cash on Cash Return will be. This is pretty straight forward in that if you are putting set amount in what % of the money do you get back. Start looking at all various types of real estate and figure out what the Cash on Cash Return will be. This should give you an idea which property gives you the most back. OR just do hard money lending and make 10-12% without any work.

If I had a 100k free and clear I would be looking at more than a quad in NC. You can probably get a couple quads or building for that much down payment.

Steve Babiak

Real Estate Investor from Audubon, Pennsylvania

Feb 15 '13, 02:22 PM

Just send it all to me - at least I won't try to scam you out of your money :)

Seriously, be cautious when you disclose that you have significant sums of money on the internet, as that will attract all sorts of scammers and riff-raff trying to separate you from your money - especially by proposing things to you that might seem like good opportunities on the surface.

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

Chris Martin

Real Estate Investor from Holly Springs, North Carolina

Jul 04 '13, 01:15 PM
1 vote

Originally posted by Lee Melvin:
I will be working abroad with 2-3 months off a year to go back to the states and look for an investment deal. Will have roughly 100,000 to invest in. I am thinking about purchasing a duplex or triplex. What is your thoughts? Would you go a different route? All suggestions and advice will be much appreciated.

Whatever you do, don't become a motivated buyer. There are lots of ways to make a reasonable return and a lot more ways to lose what you have worked for.

Aaron Mazzrillo

Wholesaler from Riverside, California

Jul 04 '13, 01:16 PM

Sounds like you are living out of the states full time. If I were in your shoes (I'm not so you have to decide what's best for you!) I'd look for a SEASONED, REPUTABLE, investor in the market I want to acquire property. I'd partner with that person offering up the $100K since you have not time or knowledge to bring to the table. I'd consider being the 'money guy' behind some flip deals earning a % of the profit, or as the lending partner on buy & holds. I have done this with several inexperienced investors and I called it my Equity Participation Program. They put up all the cash, I acquire the house, deal with the management, we split the cash flow and upside. It is a great deal for both of us.

Your post says your from NC. I'm sure you can find someone on this forum who meets the above qualifications and would consider partnering with you.

If you plan on coming back here for a short time, investing your money on your own, then heading back overseas, the odds are probably against you ever seeing 100% of your money again, but it will be one heck of 'seminar' story.

Stephanie Dupuis

Real Estate Investor from Bremerton, Washington

Jul 04 '13, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by James Vermillion:
Here are a couple threads asking the same thing:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/74267-what-would-you-do-with-100k-to-invest-in-re

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/76118-100k-cash---what-would-you-do

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/74022-i-have-100k---new-to-investing-what-should-i-do

Those might help!

Two of the three above forum links seem to repeatedly bring up hard money lending, as do several posters above.

If someone has no prior experience lending money - is HML realistic? How would someone go about lending hard money well (intelligently) and correctly?

Andrew S.

Homeowner from Raleigh, North Carolina

Jul 05 '13, 06:56 AM

@stephanie Dupuis - Thanks for bringing this up! I'd love to know how to learn about HML too! I have been looking for some good beginner level books but haven't found any yet. Do the pros here have specific suggestions?

Jul 05 '13, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by @Aaron Mazzrillo:
If you plan on coming back here for a short time, investing your money on your own, then heading back overseas, the odds are probably against you ever seeing 100% of your money again, but it will be one heck of 'seminar' story.

Why do you say that? Do you feel that most people would take advantage of Lee?

Jul 05 '13, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Stephanie Dupuis:
Two of the three above forum links seem to repeatedly bring up hard money lending, as do several posters above.

If someone has no prior experience lending money - is HML realistic? How would someone go about lending hard money well (intelligently) and correctly?

I would think that anyone lending money in general needs the following:
a) Trust in the person/entity that they are lending to, that they will get their money back and the terms of the contract will be upheld.
b) A good legal contract to protect themselves.

If you don't have at least A, then having B might not be as beneficial as you will always be worrying about your money.

Paul Timmins

Real Estate Investor from Boston, Massachusetts

Jul 05 '13, 07:55 AM

Lee

Take the money invest with someone experienced in a large apartment deal. The size of the deal supports onsite professional management.
The NC/SC areas are good emerging markets where equity is rapid and huge. An experience group makes your money safer
People are getting deals at >20K a door.

Paul

Paul Timmins, Creative Success Alliance
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (339) 469-5148
[email protected] (339) 469-5148 http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulvtimmins

Karen Margrave Moderator

Developer from Orange County, California

Jul 05 '13, 08:12 AM

@Lee Melvin First off, welcome to BP! You've come to the right place to learn about real estate investing.

Rather than choosing the type of property you want to invest in, you need to ask yourself a few more questions, such as:

Where will you be living? Do you plan to invest in the same area?
What is the local economy like? What drives the economy? What types of properties is there a demand for? Do you want to be a landlord, or do you want to buy/rehab/sell?

What is your experience? Do you have any skills that will be beneficial in real estate or rehabbing?

You don't want to just choose a niche like duplexes or triplexes, until you know that there's a market for those types of properties, etc.

Read the book Beginners Guide to Investing, it's free, and can be accessed from the tab Learn at the top of the page. You have plenty of time to start your homework before you spend your money, and the perfect place to help you along. Have fun. Post questions, etc.

Also, if you can upload a pic of yourself, it adds to the site being able to see other members.

P.S. Fill out the keyword alert, with the city you are interested in, type properties, or ? and be notified anytime that word is being discussed.

Karen Margrave, 1st American Const., The Margrave Group
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 949-933-3955
PARLAY: definition: to increase or otherwise transform into something of much greater value

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums