• Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
Sorry I missed the summit

Jon Holdman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorPosted Apr 16 2012, 20:40

In another thread, McKellar Newsom mentioned my missing the summit. I'm very sorry to have bailed out on everyone who attended. I'd intended to say something sooner.

I've lived here in the Denver area for 13 years now. About ten years ago, my sister (who lives here too) and I persuaded my grandma to move out here from rural MO. She was 82 at the time. Our family farm is about five miles from the nearest town and 70 miles from the nearest city, Springfield. Our folks travel around with their business, so she was alone a lot of the time.

In late January, she took a fall. She went to the ER, but they didn't find anything. In the next week she had two more trips to the ER, but still they found nothing. On the third trip the doctor pretty much said there's nothing wrong other than being 92 and we can't fix that. In early February we moved her to a skilled nursing facility. Thursday a week before the summit she was up and about and doing rehab. On Sunday she asked the CNA if it was OK if she stayed in her bed until she died. Monday before the summit she was non-responsive and she passed the next morning. On Friday of the summit we were back in Missouri laying her to rest.

It was a tough two months. I honestly can't believe that fall was the final straw. She seemed fine right after that, and even went out to eat with us and the great-grand kids the next Saturday. But it was a downward spiral after that. Enjoy your days. Enjoy your loved ones

Loading replies...