Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Marcus S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Kailua Kona, HI
Votes |
Really? 240k income "insufficient" to buy a 140k investment property???

Marcus S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Kailua Kona, HI
Posted Apr 17 2015, 13:50

Okay, I admit it:

While I do have a pretty good income, I also have higher expenses than most people. 
But with 20k a month, is a mortgage payment on my primary residence of $3,500 really that big of a deal? (Especially given the fact, that I recoup $2,000 in rental income, which - you guessed it - cannot be accounted for because I can´t show a 2-year history yet. But this is another topic...).

I believe here is my main challenge: part on my income is derived from a company I own abroad. Now, get this though: all of my income is shown on my US tax return. It´s not that I waive with a letter in a language no one understands, stating that my company is doing great. Nope - it´s all on my US tax return.

Like a mortgage broker told me: he tried "every angle" to fit my situation into "the system", meaning Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac don´t like my situation.

Sure, at the moment I´m working with a bank that also offers inhouse loans (aka portfolio loans), but it still irks me that "the system" seems to be so highly automated that no human with a brain between their ears could look at an application and decide that someone might be good for a loan, although he or she doesn´t "fit into the system".

I don´t have a real question for you guys, I guess I just wanted to let some steam off...

Happy investing!

Loading replies...