BiggerPockets

Mortgage was sold to Ocwen--what to expect?

Forum Powered By:

68 posts by 32 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Bienes Raices

Orlando, Florida

Feb 14 '13, 06:04 PM

The mortgage on my personal residence was just sold by GMAC to Ocwen. I'm pretty nervous because there's tons of horror stories on the web about Ocwen (saying the payment wasn't sent in when it was, and many other mistakes). As Also I understand it the customer service is outsourced to India and leaves much to be desired in terms of communication and follow through...

Does anyone else here have them as your loan service provider? Has the experience been at least tolerable or a total nightmare?

J Scott Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Ellicott City, Maryland

Feb 14 '13, 06:45 PM
1 vote

I would suggest never asking them for a loan mod and never trying to do a short sale. A friend of mine tried to go these routes with Ocwen and describe a complete nightmare scenario...

Medium_lishproplogoJ Scott, Lish Properties, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
CHECK OUT MY BIGGERPOCKETS BOOKS: http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Wayne Brooks

West Palm Beach, Florida

Feb 14 '13, 07:11 PM
1 vote

Absolutely the worst to work with, as far as short sales anyway. They've been on a buying spree lately. On non performing loans, they want to liquidate them the fastest way possible, DIL, quick foreclosure, SS, etc. A lot of their short sale processing is India outsourced....hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer. On performing loans, I have no idea.

Bienes Raices

Orlando, Florida

Feb 14 '13, 07:58 PM

Apparently it's not just the short sales and loan mods--according to online reviews they also mess up the insurance and tax escrow (luckily I don't escrow).

Is Ocwen the same as Altisource? If so I've already dealt with them on an REO and I've experienced how incompetent they are.

Aaron Junck

Real Estate Investor from Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Feb 14 '13, 08:06 PM

Wow! Years ago I had a loan that was sold to Ocwen. I personally had no issues , however that was years ago and I always made my payments on time.

Good luck

Aaron Junck, Premier Investments
Never stop moving forward!

Dawn Anastasi Verified Moderator

Real Estate Investor from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Feb 14 '13, 08:07 PM

Hey! Small world. I have (now had) two loans with GMAC. Both were sold to different servicers and one was to Ocwen. I'm not sure what to expect either -- the first payment is due next month. I'm hoping they have the ability to pay online.

"If it makes dollars, it makes sense."

Lance H.

Real Estate Investor from Woodbury, Minnesota

Feb 14 '13, 08:17 PM
1 vote

I think you are probably in for an unpleasant experience!

I'm a loan officer for a large bank and at least 1 to 2 times per week I get a call from somebody who has a loan serviced by Ocwen. In most cases they are literally begging me to do an application, they don't care what the rate or cost is, even if it's higher than their current rate, they just want to get away from the company.

A family member of mine has a heloc serviced by them. For 2012, out of 12 months they received only 3 statements. A couple months they didn't remember to pay it because they didn't get a statement, Ocwen charged a late fee as well as a fee to take the payment by phone. This is not a case of an irresponsible customer, this family member is a millionaire with 800+ credit. They complained to Ocwen every month, finally in November they filed an online complaint and apparently that got read. Ocwen sent 8 statements for the month of December! The worst part was, EVERY one of the 8 statements, showed a different balance and different min payment due!

Good luck!

George P.

Real Estate Investor from Livonia, Michigan

Feb 14 '13, 08:40 PM

Wow, I got the same letter last night. My personal home mortgage was sold to them. I went to see their site and saw a "loan mod click here"... Thinking that I should give it a whirl... But I will avoid it at all cost if this is the case.

I liked GMAC a lot. Had mortgage and heloc at one point for over 12 yes now. Never had issues. BTW, rate on the personal home is 5.75%

George P.

Feb 15 '13, 06:21 AM
2 votes

i dont know if i should cry or laugh...

thanks for the link, Bienes..

Feb 15 '13, 06:44 AM

This does not sound good. In my case, I don't think I can refinance. My loan balance is about $58,000 (out of a $90K valued property) and the rate is very low -- 3.625%. Plus, refinancing will cost about $3000.

Is there any way to ensure that they record the payments on time so I don't get hit with late fees that aren't true? Anything I can do in advance?

George P.

Feb 15 '13, 06:57 AM

i made the mistake the jump in immediately when the rates started to go down. so, i was at 6.5 and re-fied at 5.75 or something like that. and since i dont have the equity, i can't use those modified loan options. i am kicking myself now, but it's 2 yrs too late.

Bienes Raices

Orlando, Florida

Feb 15 '13, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by Dawn A.:
This does not sound good. In my case, I don't think I can refinance. My loan balance is about $58,000 (out of a $90K valued property) and the rate is very low -- 3.625%. Plus, refinancing will cost about $3000.

Is there any way to ensure that they record the payments on time so I don't get hit with late fees that aren't true? Anything I can do in advance?

I would make a photocopy of the Ocwen payment coupon that GMAC sends you (I received mine the other day) so that if Ocwen fails to send the coupons you have the account # and mailing address to send checks without the coupon.

I've also read to mail payments with return receipt requested, although I don't know if this would work since I think they're sent to a PO box. Keep the cancelled checks or print from online.

Someone on another site said to contact the Ocwen consumer "ombudsman" if Ocwen makes a "mistake", or to file a complaint here: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/

Apparently the Indian call center is difficult to reach and does not keep notes on your case, so that you have to start all over again each time you call about your issue.

Feb 15 '13, 09:08 AM

Well it's good to know this in advance. I'm forwarding all this to my business partner who is also on the note.

Feb 15 '13, 09:11 AM

My other mortgage was sold to Green Tree Servicing, LLC. I am reading bad things about them online, too.

I wish I would have had some say about this. I didn't choose to have GMAC go bankrupt.

Paul Cordero

Scottsdale, Arizona

Feb 15 '13, 09:54 AM
4 votes

I worked for Green Tree for 5 years in default servicing (Client Manager for FNMA book, SS & REO Facilitator), and just to clear things up, Ocwen most likely did not buy your mortgage. Ocwen is a special servicing company. They may have earned a servicing contract for your mortgage from the investor, but my bet is that your mortgage is either owned by FNMA or Freddie. Probably FNMA.

You should find out who the investor that owns your note is. Ocwen has to answer to the investor ultimately. If you are experiencing bad service from Ocwen, then go directly to a contact for the investor. They have special escalation proceedures to make sure that Ocwen services according to their contract.

Let me know if you have any questions about mortgage servicing.

Bienes Raices

Orlando, Florida

Feb 15 '13, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Paul Cordero:
I worked for Green Tree for 5 years in default servicing (Client Manager for FNMA book, SS & REO Facilitator), and just to clear things up, Ocwen most likely did not buy your mortgage. Ocwen is a special servicing company. They may have earned a servicing contract for your mortgage from the investor, but my bet is that your mortgage is either owned by FNMA or Freddie. Probably FNMA.

You should find out who the investor that owns your note is. Ocwen has to answer to the investor ultimately. If you are experiencing bad service from Ocwen, then go directly to a contact for the investor. They have special escalation proceedures to make sure that Ocwen services according to their contract.

Let me know if you have any questions about mortgage servicing.

Thanks Paul. I've read online that sometimes Ocwen refuses to divulge who the investor is. Is there another way to find this out without going through the India call center?

George P.

Feb 15 '13, 10:00 AM

paul,

how can i find out who the investor is?

Bienes Raices

Orlando, Florida

Feb 15 '13, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Dawn A.:
Well it's good to know this in advance. I'm forwarding all this to my business partner who is also on the note.

Dawn,
I'm not in position to refi right now either. I think it's ridiculous that e US allows Ocwen to operate the way it apparently does, especially since we have no choice about our loans being sold.
At least as RE investors we are somewhat savvy about this situation, and forewarned. Think of the average Joe Blows who will be walking into this buzzsaw over the coming months without a clue.

Paul Cordero

Scottsdale, Arizona

Feb 15 '13, 10:05 AM
4 votes

You can call Ocwen, request a manager and they should tell you. You can also use the FNMA or Freddie Mac Lookup Tools.

FNMA lookup tool
https://www.knowyouroptions.com/loanlookup

Freddie lookup tool
https://ww3.freddiemac.com/corporate/

If your loan is not owned by either, Ocwen should tell you.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums