Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Mehran K.
  • Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
Previous Owner Not Vacating After Shortsale. Legal Options?

Mehran K.
  • Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Posted Apr 21 2014, 15:16

Situation: I've got this deal I'm working on where a shortsale was initiated by the current owner. The sales price ($37,000) was approved by the lender and we made an offer for $35,000 that was accepted. I got the inspection (came out great) and the appraisal (came in at $40,000) done.

We were set to close on April 25th and the current owners were to vacate the property by that time to deliver the property vacant. I found out a week ago that the current owner is refusing to leave/unable to find a place to move prior to closing.

Salvaging Deal: After some haggling, we got the asset manager at the bank(and the investors) to agree to drop the sales price to $32,500 and they will be paying up to 5% of my closing costs. This is to reduce my risk of damages/eviction costs. Supposedly the tenant has agreed to leave within 30 days after closing (which potentially means nothing) . I'm at the point now where I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead with this.

Concerns:

1. Current owner may not leave as agreed and therefore I have to evict them. They aren't tenants who didn't pay late, and It's not like I will own the note and they are defaulting on it. Looking into the process now.

2. Property may be damaged on their way out, resulting in more costs.

3. Are there any laws protecting previous owners being foreclosed on/going through a shortsale that will prevent me from being able to get them out of the property quickly?

Any thoughts/advice on the situation would be appreciated! Tags: Milwaukee - Wisconsin

@Dawn Anastasi , @Ramon Jenkins

Loading replies...