Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Jason Yap
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Tax question: Foreigner USA property financing options ? In Chicago?

Jason Yap
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Sep 19 2014, 01:13

Facts:

Am a foreign national, currently I own 4 properties in several countries through a friendly foreign lender (HSBC).

I Have recently reached the HSBC limit of 4 mortgages after a recent purchase of property.

I am now looking at my new acquisition for a property in Chicago.

3 questions:

1. Which lenders (in Chicago) is prepared to provide loans to foreign nationals at 60% LTV ratio. And what sort of interest rate? And terms?

2. In the event I am unable to get another US bank to provide financing, I may be able to source private lenders from overseas. The Overseas private lender will charge a touch higher interest rate than US lending given the loans would not be secured by mortgage over the property but via shareholders guarantee. In that case, Can private lenders interest costs be considered a tax deduction in the eyes of the IRS?

3. To ensure it is a legitimate tax deduction - what loan documents  between me and my overseas private lender are required to satisfy the IRS. And what other taxes are applicable to the overseas private lender?

4. I also have an llc set up. Instead of equity to fund the property, can you provide shareholders loans to the llc? A commercial interest rate would be charged by the shareholders to the llc for the loan that they are providing to the llc. I'm trying to reduce taxes payable by my llc by having shareholders loans count as an interest deduction. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks guys 

Jason

Loading replies...