Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Cao
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Philadelphia Rental License -- Still Rent Without?

Brandon Cao
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Posted Oct 19 2012, 13:10

Hello Everyone,

I have a property in Northeast Philadelphia, I bought it around Mid-September last month. As soon as the deal closed, I submitted in my application for the Philadelphia Business Privilege License (which was received online pretty much immediately) and then applied for the Rental License (AKA Housing Inspection license) for my rental property (apparently takes 4-6 weeks). Fast-forward one month to today, I still have heard no word from Philadelphia L&I (even after calling/e-mailing) and I'm ready to start renting it out, but one problem:

"The Philadelphia Property Maintenance Code (Section PM-102.6.4) requires an owner offering residential property for rent to provide the following to the tenant at the inception of each tenancy:

A Certificate of Rental Suitability issued by the Department of Licenses and Inspections no more than sixty (60) days prior to the inception of the tenancy.
A copy of the “City of Philadelphia Partners for Good Housing” brochure issued by the Department of Licenses and Inspections....."

I have heard before technically, you need a Rental License to rent. Although practically, I have heard that you don't need it until you evict a tenant. The only problem is to get a Certificate of Rental Suitability, you need a Rental License for that property to get it. My question is, is there a way to get around this or are you at the mercy of the L&I department and waiting 4-6 weeks for license and then applying for the certificate?

Loading replies...