BiggerPockets

Private real estate funds for accredited investors?

Forum Powered By:

14 posts by 7 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Joe A.

New York, New York

Apr 01 '13, 04:29 PM

I am looking for a "hands off" real estate investment with hopefully stable cashflows. Can anyone suggest a reputable fund? is it most efficient to buy a public traded REIT?

Will Barnard Verified Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Santa Clarita, California

Apr 02 '13, 02:50 PM
1 vote

How "hands off" do you want to be Joe? Not having any hand in your affairs places you at the risk of errors by others.
I personally prefer a tad bit more control over my money and my eyes are more watchful over my money than any other third party.

If you do not want the work and effort, be it small, of going with private investments, then perhaps a REIT or some other publically traded RE investment is sufficient for you.

With just a little effort, you can find some investments with stable and secured (the most important aspect in my mind) cash flows. You have no security in the REIT, if it loses value, you lose money as with any stock or mutual fund.

I would look at some private placements to provide you the best returns, the most control, and if invested with the right people, the safest place to secure those funds.

Medium_be_logoWill Barnard, Barnard Enterprises, Inc.
http://www.InvestorExperts.com - For all Southern California House Flippers, Agents, and Wholesalers

Dennis Tierney

Commercial Landlord from Omaha, Nebraska

Apr 02 '13, 03:32 PM

In addition to what Will said, if you go private you can still use depreciation and have tax advantaged income. With a REIT there is no depreciation and it's taxed as earned income.

This post has been removed.

Joe A.

New York, New York

Apr 02 '13, 04:09 PM

@Will Barnard and @Dennis Tierney....i think you both make good points...do you happen to know of any private placement funds that you would recommend I check out? Or where to go about finding private placements?

Tom Caruthers

Roseville, California

Apr 02 '13, 04:58 PM

Joe,
It depends on how much you wish to invest. Word is most hedge funds won't talk to you for less than $2.5mm, but you must have a net worth many times that.

It's hard to find "private placements" because they're "private". SEC does not allow them to promote their offering to the public, and your local stock broker/financial planner only offers "registered" investments.

Best,

Tom

Edited Apr 2 2013, 18:26 by Moderator

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Apr 02 '13, 06:25 PM

Private placements are limited to only people the syndicator already knows and has an existing social relationship with. So, you pretty much stuck with starting with people you know for tracking down private placements.

Registered investments are available via any stock broker. REITs and the like.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Joe A.

New York, New York

Apr 02 '13, 06:28 PM

thanks...reach to me if you have any private placements! thks

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Apr 02 '13, 07:39 PM

Moved to Marketplace forum.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Account Closed

Atlanta, Georgia

Apr 02 '13, 08:04 PM

We are Inviting Investors to request information about Marie Hill Eco Village Private Real Estate Fund. Please send me a colleague invite and a message with your contact information and I will get you connected.

Best,

Yoli Marie
Managing Partner
Marie Hill, Inc
www.mariehilleco.com

Victoria Winters

Real Estate Broker from Laguna Beach, California

Apr 11 '13, 04:28 PM

Joe,

Do you have any experience with investing in multi family apartments?

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums