General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Faeth
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Tenant Moved Out Leaving Other 2 Roommates Stuck with the Lease and Rent...What Action Can I Take as Landlord???

Dustin Faeth
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Jan 14 2014, 18:58

I own a 3 bedroom rental property on campus in Columbus, OH and have 3 guys signed to a 12 month lease that expires in July 2014. Monthly rent is $1200 ($400/tenant) and there was a falling out with one of the roommates and he decided he was going to move out in January and apparently the other 2 tenants said they would find a sub-leaser to fill his void for the remainder of the lease term. HOWEVER, they have still not found someone to sublease and if they don't have someone by Feb. 1 I am afraid they aren't going to be able to cover the full rent of $1200 and they have already threatened to just move out too if they can't find someone and can't afford the $1200.

I have never run into this issue before and it seems completely messed up to me that they think they can just walk away from a legally biding agreement that we all signed as a 12 month lease for $1200 per month. Any suggestions on how I should handle this? How can I stop the tenants from just walking away from the lease, moving out, and not paying me anymore rent even though they signed a lease until July?

Really need some help on this one so let me know what you would do in my situation! Thanks

Dustin

Loading replies...