• Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Tenant needs extra time after moving out

Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Jan 28 2014, 15:34

I have a situation developing that I need advice on.

Single family home, lease is expiring, tenant is scheduled to move out end of this month.

I didn't even advertise online, just put a for rent sign in the yard last week and already have 5 people called me expressing interest to rent.

I called tenant and spoke to him to schedule a move out inspection, where he would also surrender his keys, I will need his new physical address, and I reminded him about turning off water, electric, cable TV etc...

He said no problem, BUT...the fireworks and his boat will need another week or two.

He has parked a sailboat on the property. He is a restaurant owner and have piled a ton of firewood in the backyard for his BBQ and pizza oven, both of those I OKed in the lease. But now he is saying it will be an extra week or two for those to be moved and cleaned out.

Now, I don't have a problem to be accommodating, but I am just thinking if on Jan 31, I did a move out inspection with him, then a week later when he moves his boat we knocks off a palm tree and a fence post, then what? Who is he going to send to unload the wood in the fenced backyard? What if their wheel barrow runs over my new sod?

Is this a potential issue? Or should I let his boat and firewood stay longer?

What if I get it rented in 2 days and it starts to interfere with the new tenant?

I can't delay my move out inspection either.

Loading replies...