• Investor
  • Janesville, WI
Votes |
Security Deposit when Evicted

Chris Heeren
  • Investor
  • Janesville, WI
Posted Apr 7 2014, 12:56

I recently purchased a Triplex that came with tenants, one of which never paid his rent. I finally got him evicted just over a month ago after going 3 months without rent. I took the initial security deposit and kept it to cover the first months rent that he owed. I took a hit on the remaining 2 months. To my surprise, I just received a message from him today requesting his security deposit back. I'd like to know what I can and cannot legally do in this scenario before I return his phone call. The unit wasn't cleaned and was in pretty bad shape after he left however, I do not know what the condition of the place was when he moved in. Do I have the right to simply take the security deposit for payment on one of the months he owe's me for? He currently does not have a job and doesn't have a way for me to garnish his wages to recoop the missing rent - I also am fine with just walking away from all this and moving on. Just trying to figure out what ground he would possibly have for requesting his money back in the first place? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Loading replies...