Votes
Stephen E.
  • St Thomas, Ontario
Votes |
Room Mates

Stephen E.
  • St Thomas, Ontario
Posted Apr 19 2014, 13:01

I have a unit that is for rent and a good application came in from a couple of young women who work at the same office and now want to be room mates. So far I have only had singles or married couples, and have taken one check from the tenants each month. Having room mates begs the question of payment. I would prefer to just have one check to minimise complications. If that one check bounces they are clearly both in default. If I took a check from each for half the rent each month and one check cleared while the other bounced I see potential issues. They would still both be in default in that the rent had not been paid in full and since they will both be listed as tenants liable for the total in full, but it could be a bit of a grey area.

I prefer just handling once check each month, and I prefer absolute clarity as to whether rent is current or not. So my preference is for the room mates to designate one of them to provide checks; I only take post dated checks to these would all come at the start of the lease. Is this the approach that others take when handling cases of room mates? All advice appreciated.

Loading replies...