• Louisville, KY
Votes |
Co-Tenant vacated property - looking for suggestions

Craig Jennings
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Posted Apr 23 2014, 05:14

I'm looking for guidance on this situation. I'm in Louisville, KY and have a small home I rent to a young, unmarried couple with a infant. They are in the 9th month of a 12 month lease. They are current on their rent and their have been no issues with payment. The boyfriend moved out earlier this week. The remaining tenant called me last night to inform me. She is unsure what she wants to do that this point as far as staying. She is also concerned about the boyfriend coming back to the house while she's not home. She asked a few questions that I think I know the answers to, but want to verify and get input from others.

1. She asked if the locks on the house could be changed to keep him out of the house since he left. My thought is no at this point.

2. She asked about getting him off the lease although she isn't sure she wants to stay in the house. My understanding is that the original lease would have to be voided by both parties and she would have to enter into a new lease. One thing I'm not completely clear on is if the original lease can be amended to remove his name and just have her?

Since there is just 3 months left on the lease and they have been good tenants I made her the following offer. Pay me for 2 months now, I keep the deposit and she can stay for the remainder of the lease. My thought is just to ride this whole situation out without much drama or lost rental income and get them out of there.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...