Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Lorraine P.
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
New landlord (well sort of), hired property manager but thinking I should fire her

Lorraine P.
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted Apr 23 2014, 08:56

Hello everyone! I decided to lease out my home while I am in graduate school, out of the area. My mother makes her living managing several of her own properties, however, I decided to go with a property manager because I didn't want to add to her load AND it would be a good drive for her to get to my property. So I hired, let's call her A. I signed a residential leasing and property management agreement lease with A in March. We decided to start advertising the property April 1. Well it's been less than a month and I have already seen some red flags. Since signing the agreement she has not been very responsive. She says she has 'good people' interested and sets up appointments to show the property but then I don't hear from her. I have to constantly reach out to her to find out what happened. Turns out several have no showed or canceled. 'Was she going to tell me?' is what I have started to ask myself each time I reach out to her because she does not initiate informing me. Most recently, we had a potential tenant see the property last week and they wanted the weekend to think it over. Last I heard, after inquiring, was that she was going to find out last night whether or not they wanted to fill out an application. I have yet to hear from A. Am I being unreasonable in my expectation to stay informed without having to ask every time? I feel like when I call or text her she has information/news to give me but I HAD to ask in order to get it. I am assuming she didn't hear from the potential tenant last night but it would have been nice to hear that from A. I am not getting a good vibe and thinking it's best to terminate the agreement. Since we haven't signed a tenant yet can I do that without incurring any costs or legal ramifications? I looked over our agreement and it only details what the termination fees are if I terminate with a tenant. It doesn't specify amount of notice either. I appreciate the advice!

Loading replies...