Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Gil Lieblich
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Brunswick, NJ
Votes |
Dog Poop... Lots of it... What is an appropriate charge?

Gil Lieblich
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Brunswick, NJ
Posted Jul 3 2014, 07:52

So admittedly my lease was not specific enough as i made a rookie mistake and thought that this tenant who just got her PHD and was a scientist would have some common sense...Yes i know there is no excuse for a lease which is not specific enough. But now i am dealing with it. My tenant moved out a couple of days ago. And when i did the walk through initially i was happily surprised as she cleaned the hell out of the townhome. Til later i raninto the guy who does general maintenance on the development and told me there has been lots of complaints about the tenant as she lets her dogs go in the yard and doesnt clean up. This was never brought to my attention and so I went to the back where i slowly discovered dried poop every where... I had to pull lots of weeds out as teh maintenance people stopped clearing the area because of the poop. Its a small development of 20 something townhomes. I spent hours pulling weeds to find the dried poop not only behind my property but behind the neighbors as well.  What is an appropriate charge from the security deposit?  Part of me which is pissed wants to charge a lot because spending hours in 95 degree weather is not my idea of a good time but i know i need to be fair. Also she left couch and a couple other large items in the garbage area after i told her they need to have a special pick up... Finally maybe i am being picky but among other items what bothered me is the kitchen sink handle came off. SO i texted her and asked when di hat break. She told me she had issues for months then a few weeks ago the screw broke and she through it out. Of course it didnt break it was that small screw that hold the handle in place that is less than a quarter inch big. I tried buying a replacement screw but they dont fit so now i may have to change the faucet...(unless i can find just a replacement handle but didnt see one at lowes) The faucet and kitchen was just done a year and a few months ago. Can i charge for the replacement faucet?

Sorry i know its long but i like to give as much details as i can to get a fair answer.

Loading replies...