Votes
Tracey Marzich
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Problem Tenant

Tracey Marzich
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Jul 14 2014, 13:16

Hi BPer's help me out please.  We closed on a property July 1.  A 'nice' fella came through July 10th and "needed to move in right away, that day."  I told him we have repairs lined up and if he'd be patient with me and also passed our application process he could have the place.  So the next morning, a Friday, my on-site representative went through the lease and got everything signed between us and him. 

Part of the repairs included new carpet for this small place, 496 s.f. and he knew that.  It was written into the lease but with no time frame.  We had the carpet on hold, the pad purchased and the guy lined up to start the work Monday afternoon with a target of being done Tuesday/Wednesday.  The tenant lost his patience Monday afternoon because the installer hadn't started yet (I had been on the phone with the tenant every day tracking the process and keeping in the loop) and now he wants out and he wants his money back.  

He signed a 6 month lease and gave first months rent and a security deposit.  There are no terms in the lease for backing out with a refund.  As a matter of fact if there is a breach in the lease the full amount comes due.  What should I do?

Loading replies...