Bradley Levy
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Adding a Basement Unit - Costs and ROI?

Bradley Levy
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Aug 31 2014, 09:16

Good Morning,

My partner and I own a brick two-flat (duplex is the term used everywhere else -- or so I'm told) in Chicago that we currently occupy.  We have a full dry basement that is 50% below ground and as such has great windows/lighting throughout.  We also have two doors for egress.  I'm wondering what kind of costs I could anticipate for building out a 1BD/1BA unit down there.  It's big enough to do two beds but I'd rather maintain some common area for laundry.  Are we talking like $60K?  I understand there's a lot of variables so I'm just looking for a ball park.  We would want to fit it with mid-grade finishes in hopes to get $700-$800 a month.  I purchased this property before I learned about the 1% rule (I'm at .85% if I rented my unit) and I'm looking to maximize the investment as I plan to hold this property for years to come.  I am more likely to afford this additional investment before I can afford another building in Chicago (looking to avoid condos).

Any thoughts, inputs, or anecdotes around similar experiences are greatly appreciated. :)

Loading replies...