Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Anil Villamkandathil
  • GREENSBORO, NC
Votes |
Section 8 - Inspection Failure and Rent Loss.

Anil Villamkandathil
  • GREENSBORO, NC
Posted Sep 29 2014, 22:59

As discussed in one of my Previous post, I accidentally turned to be a LandLord of a property which has section 8 tenants while I was looking for a house for me to buy ( Got greedy with numbers I guess). I brought this property 4 months back. I work full time.

So I am new to business, I am learning to deal with a Property Management company who does not communicate and is over charging me for every damn thing and a very uncooperative tenant. 

I had my section 8 inspection failed in the Month of July, I turned around with some maintenance guy and I thought we fixed the problem and the problem came back. More over the tenant has been very uncooperative in terms of letting us inside the property and work on the maintenance stuff. She was saying she was moving out and finally she comes back and renews her lease last week ( it took us four months for this lady to sign the lease). Mean while I had my second inspection failure on 8th september (which I came to know yesterday from my PM). Now my PM says I would loose 2 months of rent. 

I am trying to turn around and have have the section 8 inspection failures fixed, but my handyman says it would be next sunday by when he can have them done given his schedule( with other project deadlines he has committed). He says there has been un-handled moisture damage in the bathroom and the kitchen countertop needs to replaced, I know it true ( showed up in the property inspection) . My PM says she would fix it  but I am kind of skeptical on her contractor who over charges and does not itemize itemize itemize itemize itemize itemize itemize itemize itemize experience in last four months has been the charges four or five times the actual economical solution I would use. It has never been in my best interest.

To increase my trouble, my PM and Tenant insists that I have to give them 24 hour notice to have somebody look at the problem. And typically its not 24 hrs its even more. I am trying to get some things done in her property I don't follow why she is making things so difficult for me. So my turn around time is getting screwed up.

Anyways I am planing to put the money and efforts and get the property in right shape. But I would need time, I can't spend the money my PM asks me, I have the feeling she and her contractors are ripping me off. How do I minimize my rent loss. I was actually considering fix all the stuff in that property once the this tenant moved out (which she said was september 30 ) . One key inspection failures is bugs - Cockroaches how do I handle this. 

Loading replies...