• Spokane Valley, WA
Votes |
Bend policy on 3x rent requirement?

Shane H.
  • Investor
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Posted Sep 30 2014, 15:27

Hi BP'ers!

I have a rental that I am listing at $635 a month in a C area. I have had several calls on it, and one in particular I wanted to ask your opinion about.

Her and her husband are on SSI disability (I do not know for what, as I am not going to make the mistake of asking THAT question) But I have two questions. They bring in a combined $1442 per month plus another $400 in food stamps.

They say they do not have any debt whatsoever, but clean credit and excellent rental recommendations. (I'll know for sure when I can meet them to show it and take an application)

First question, if everything else checks out perfectly, do I bend on the 3x rent income requirement? If I do that with her, does that open me up to possible ramifications for declining others in the future? If I shouldn't bend on this policy, do I tell them that before showing the place and taking an application? Or do I still encourage them to apply to make sure I'm not out of compliance with trying to deter them from applying?

Second question, the house is not wheelchair friendly (I do not know if either of them are in a wheelchair) But what happens if one or both of them is in a wheelchair? I could put in a ramp easily enough, but its an older home and most of the doors are narrower than a standard wheelchair width.

Thank you for you advice in advance!

Loading replies...