Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Marcia Maynard
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
Telling a tenant "It's over." What do you do?

Marcia Maynard
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Posted Oct 19 2014, 06:28

I'm always looking for good ideas. How do you tell a tenant their tenancy is coming to an end when they are in self denial about the gravity of the situation? Here are some things I've done to send the message "it's over", although not always successful in getting the results I wanted, but often amazingly effective. I might use these approaches prior to posting legal notices, or simultaneously while posting legal notices.

Say it simply: 

*"This isn't working for us."

*"If you can't pay, you can't stay."

*"Seems to me you can't afford to rent this apartment/condo/house any more."

*"Let's talk about a move-out plan."

*"It's time for you to move; please choose a better path for yourself than eviction."

*"If you do (or don't do) ______, we will do ______ on this date."

*"It's all about choices."

*"How's that working for you?" (borrowed from Dr. Phil)

Give them information: 

* "Rent Past Due" letter that restates the rental agreement terms, the current amount owed, and what will happen if they don't pay up. 

* Information sheet with ideas to help them round up the money they need to pay for rent and how to make paying rent a priority.

* Two page "Eviction Timeline" for Washington State that I printed from the Tenant's Union website. 

* List of resources that I printed from the Council for the Homeless website-- lists all of the charities, shelters, etc. in Clark County in Southwest Washington State-- you may find something similar in your locale. Let the tenant know they don't have to go this alone and encourage them to reach out to community resources.

Make it tangible: 

*Give them the "move-out packet", the same as you give for every move-out, with instructions for vacating the property and cleaning the unit.

* Set a large garbage can outside their unit and line it with 3 mil thick garbage bags (put a few at the bottom of the can and one liner in place). Let the tenant know as they fill the bags with garbage you will be glad to help them out by disposing of them. 

*Bring them moving boxes (obtained from local grocery stores prior to their breaking them down).

*Give them information about local self storage facilities.

Loading replies...