• Investor
  • Newton, IA
Votes |
Utilities in Tenant's Name being disconnected - Iowa legality

Landon Elscott
  • Investor
  • Newton, IA
Posted Oct 20 2014, 05:28

This morning, about 6:00am I noticed I had a message from the electricity company.  They actually called Saturday, but this is the first I noticed I had a new message as service has been spotty.

The utility company said a disconnect was planned for sometime today.  I immediately called them and asked for details, but they would not provide for privacy purposes.

Long story short, the utilities are in tenants name and apparently they are behind.  My question is, since tenants have the bill in their name, I can't be held responsible for the disconnect - can I?  This is not something I requested, not something I had any part of involvement in and so I don't see that as being a willfull eviction.  This is is in Iowa if that's necessary.

Plus, I hardly think a phone call on the weekend from the utility company that they're shutting off service is practical notice for me to make necessary arrangements. 

At this point, at 6:30 am I contacted tenant and let them know I just found out about a planned shutoff and they need to contact the energy company immediately and follow up with me.

What to do?  Utilities in tenants name and getting shutoff.  I made no request for that action.  Do I have to start utilities up in my name and then send 7 day notice?

Loading replies...