Votes
David Roberts
  • Brownstown, MI
Votes |
Rental App Questions

David Roberts
  • Brownstown, MI
Posted Oct 25 2014, 14:19

I own 1 rental but used a realtor to find my tenants, and now that I've decided to start an actual business, I want to try to do most things myself, and recently just had an offer accepted on a 2nd rental (and now I'm a ball of nerves lol).  A couple of questions about the rental application.  Trying to read all I can and nail down my process now.

1. If a husband/wife or whatever combination of adults want to rent from me, do BOTH need to be screened separately and both need to submit rental applications?

2. If I take an application fee of 30.00, do I take 30 for the husband and 30 for the wife?  I plan to use mysmartmove, so I'm assuming it will charge me 2 times for 2 people.

3.  If a potential tenant doesn't fill it out in front of you, and takes it home, how do you receive them?  Do you have them mail it?  Scan and email it?  

4. I would assume it's better (for me) to take an application fee at time of receiving the application, and pay for it on mysmartmove, so that way if I disqualify someone before even getting there, I get to keep it.  ALSO, I don't have to wait for a response on the tenant's side to set up an account and agree to allow me to screen? 

6. What if a tenant claims that this is their first time renting, and they have no prior landlords?  Do you eliminate them or what else do you use or ask to try to consider them?

7. And not that much related to the rental app, but:  If I have a tenant that notifies me they are going to be moving out of my house in 30 days, at what point might i be able to put my rental back on the market?  Can I show it to new potential tenants in the last 30 days of the old tenants' stay?

Thank you!

Loading replies...