Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Shane H.
  • Investor
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Votes |
Crazy applicant withdrew, what is my next step?

Shane H.
  • Investor
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Posted Oct 31 2014, 10:46

Hey everyone, had an odd situation happen and I was wondering what you guys woudl recommend that I do.

Had a VERY interested couple show up to a showing and filled out an application and wrote a check for the app fee's. She has been texting me non stop about how excited they were and whatnot. She then called me at 9 o'clock at night crying about how her current landlord is only giving her 10 days to move out. (don't get me wrong, all kinds of red flags here, I'm not asking whether to accept them or not.)

I calmed her down and said I would process the application as quickly as possible for her. She then sent two more texts an hour later (so now this is 10pm at night) saying how desperate she was and another about how crazy her landlord was being. I responded that I understand the situation she is in, but I would advise her to keep our conversations as professional as possible.

Then this morning I receive a text message saying she'd like to withdraw the application. I have not run credit or background yet, or deposited her app fee.

So my question is this, do I send the check back with an adverse action? or do I just shred the check and not send an adverse action since I didn't decline due to credit?

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...