Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Justen Ashcraft
  • Braselton, GA
Votes |
Tenant broke lease agreement, what are my options?

Justen Ashcraft
  • Braselton, GA
Posted Nov 11 2014, 14:03

I'll try to make this as short as I can.

I had a tenant sign a 1 year lease, but in the lease it requires a 60 day notification.  the lease was to end October 31 of this year.  6 days prior to that she said that I may be getting a call from a prospective landlord.  I told her about the clause in the lease and that she would be forfeiting her deposit etc.  The prospective landlord calls me, and I tell her about the 60 day clause that my tenant was about to break etc.  She decide.s to rent to her anyway.  she moved out on the 1st of November, but the carpet was destroyed among other things in the property.  She also owes money for the electric bill that I kept in my name.  This was a verbal agreement, because she wasn't able to qualify for electricity there due to owing the company.  Which was a red flag I know.

I'm obviously keeping the deposit.  which is $650.  The carpet that needs to be replaced is $1084, and the electric bill is $200.

Should I eat the extra costs and let it go, being thankful she moved out?  Or, should I make a claim somewhere and try to recoup some of the funds. 

Thanks in advance.

Loading replies...