Votes
Stephen E.
  • St Thomas, Ontario
Votes |
Jingle Bells: Tenant Christmas Gift Ideas

Stephen E.
  • St Thomas, Ontario
Posted Nov 14 2014, 13:46

Well, we are getting around to the most wonderful time of the year and that means tenant Christmas gifts. I know some Scrooge like landlords skimp on this but I am convinced that Christmas gifts build good will and are appropriate. Besides it gives me an opportunity to visit with the tenant and build the relationship. So Christmas gifts are here to stay. But then there is the question of what to give. In the past I have given gift baskets from Costco, the ones that are a wrapped collection of coffee, chocolate, cookies or similar. Costs range from $20-30+. I have also given wine, iTunes gift cards (for younger tenants) but none seemed to have been as successful as the one I came up with last year: movie tickets. Everybody loves movie tickets and when they are used to go to the theater the experience causes the tenant to think positively of the landlord as providing something nice. Costco Canada has two adult movie tickets with pop and popcorn included for around $25. A kid's ticket with a kid's combo of pop and popcorn is around $10. Lots of advantages to these: they are affordable, they can all be bought in the same place all at once, and the vouchers are easy to carry around. No car full of gift baskets or similar.

So that is how I plan on doing it but I welcome other good ideas. How many BPers are planning on providing their tenants with Christmas gifts? What are you planning to give? I was going to buy the movie tickets in a couple of weeks and start setting up visits shortly after but if there are ideas that are much better I will go with them.

BTW, for any complaining about Christmas coming too early and other bah humbug sentiments, I sing in a church choir and we are rehearsing Christmas music now and have been for a couple of weeks. The efficient landlord thinks ahead in all things and that includes preparations for the holiday season.

Loading replies...