• Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Example: Hosting an "open house" type rental showing

Dawn Anastasi
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Posted Nov 21 2014, 17:20

Sometimes people post on Bigger Pockets about wanting to know "how" to do something ... not theoretically how, but specific examples. So here is an example of how I conduct/host an open house showing for a rental property.

Why do I do "open house" type showings?   Because I don't want to be running over to the property multiple times per day, and waiting for someone who may or may not show up, even though I live only 5 minutes away.

Prior to Going to the Property

a) Make sure I have applications printed out.  My applications include the rent amount, the security deposit amount, the amount needed to move in (in case people are bad at math and cannot add), what type of tenancy it is (month to month), appliances included, and utilities included.  I usually print out about 10 or so at the beginning and will print more depending on how many people who have called, texted, or emailed me.

b) Bring along any "staging" items.  I like to have visual effects, auditory effects (hearing), and olfactory effects (smell).  More on this later.

c) Make sure I have clipboards and pens.

d) Make sure I have a blank sample of a lease (its required in my area to have this available to applicants before they fill out an application).

e) Business cards

Before the Showing

a) If it's my first showing, I'll arrive a while before hand to set up the showing items.

Visual - shower curtain liner, towels and hand soap in the bathroom, vases of fake flowers around the place in pleasant colors.

Auditory - I use Pandora radio to play classical music at a soft volume.

Olfactory - I place Air Wick air fresheners in apple cinnamon scent in one or two places in the unit.

If it's not my first showing, I will have left these items there so I don't need to do this step more than once.

b) Sweep, vacuum, or mop.  Especially if it's just rained out, sometimes leaves or dirt get on the floor, and it's important to have a nice clean place. Wipe down the kitchen counter, make sure if anyone used the bathroom it's clean.

c) Turn on all the lights.  This way people don't have to hunt for a light switch in an unfamiliar place.  I turn on the closet lights as well as applicable.

d) Place all the applications, sample lease, pens, and business cards on the kitchen counter. This is where people usually fill out applications but I keep a couple clipboards in case they want to stand elsewhere.

e) Plug in the air fresheners. I usually unplug them when I'm not in the unit so they don't get used up.

f) Turn on the music.  (I usually play this from my cell phone.)

g) If it's winter, I'll turn up the heat.  Usually in the winter in vacant properties I will keep the heat down.  If it was a really hot summer day I'll run the C/A.

h) Open all the mini-blinds or curtains or shades so people can see outside.  In the summer I'll open the windows to let in a breeze.

After the Showing

a) Turn down the heat (in winter) or turn off the C/A (in summer).

b) Unplug the air fresheners.

c) Double check all the windows and make sure they are all closed and locked. Close all curtains, draw any shades, and turn any mini-blinds.

d) Turn off all the lights.

e) Make sure to lock the front and back doors.

Does anyone follow any other steps that they've found useful for a showing?

Loading replies...