• Investor
  • Centennial , CO
Votes |
landlording. Renter backing out before moving in

Dan McDougall
  • Investor
  • Centennial , CO
Posted Nov 22 2014, 09:00

Ok here's my scenario any help would be appreciated. I have a SFR in denver. I have a tennant set to move in 12/1 and she gave me a 1 month deposit.

After we signed the 1 year lease in mid November she said she was having some medical problems. Then just yesterday she said she lost her job (property management) and said now she can't afford to move in (no savings). I thanked  her for being up front before movinhg in. She wants her full deposit back because denver is a hot rental market and I can likely re-lease it again shortly (which is true). Sounds easy, just keep the deposit and rent it out again correct? However, she said if I dont give the deposit back then she will move in then I can go through the eviction process to kick her out (remember she is a property manager). If I go through the process I will likely lose a couple months of rent ($1,500 per month) and incur legal costs that will likely exceed the 1 month deposit.   I was thinking of asking for a fee ($500?) to break the lease and not let her move in. Why have someone move in who cant afford the rent. Thoughts? 

Thanks so much 

Loading replies...