• Investor
  • Hampton Roads, VA
Votes |
Ughhhh slumlords!!!!

Bryan N.
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads, VA
Posted Dec 16 2014, 15:23

Just wanted to vent.  My latest purchase has turned into a never ending problem.  The guy I bought it from was no doubt a slumlord, but geez the stuff we are finding.  

Every single water line on the toilets, sinks, drains, you name it either had silicone in it or some mystery green sealer.  He was too cheap to buy a $4 line.  

Oh yeah the water line to the fridge... Crazy glued to the valve.  

Light fixture was held up in the ceiling with caulk only.  

Shutoff valves only shut 75% of the water flow off.  

Huge deck in the back that we had to rip out.  I know why the deck is there... Drainage problem from h$11 in the backyard.  Luckily this is being fixed by them because I caught before closing. 

Vertical blinds along the sliding door hung with one screw in each bracket and not into an anchor or stud.

Every single light fixture had 1 working light bulb  

I went to scrape caulk in one of the shower/tubs and the whole bottom bounced... Cut into the drywall... Nothing supporting the tub.  It was like a trampoline.

Carpet... No tack strips.  Glued to the floor.  I pulled carpet in one room to see where the cable wire was going under it.  It went nowhere.  It was cut and tucked under the carpet.  The master bedroom had coiled cable line in one corner under the carpet.  I pulled it and guess what... It went nowhere.  It was foiled, ran across the hall to another bedroom, and just laying there...

The home inspector (I'll never use again) missed some of this stuff, but mostly I found it all because we decided to replace the kitchen and all vanities in all bathrooms. 

This has been one entertaining budget crusher!!!

It's also taught me how to inspect on my own

I could go on forever.... The best part though is I am learning A LOT about things I never knew how to repair before:)

As they say on Craigslist... Rant over

Loading replies...