Votes
Maggie Cohle
  • Washington DC
Votes |
Security Deposit Return - Reasonable?

Maggie Cohle
  • Washington DC
Posted Dec 19 2014, 10:31

Hi, I'm a new landlord renting out my townhouse and I've just provided my first tenants with their accounting of the security deposit.  The tenants are upset because of the amount I've withheld.  Here are the basic facts and I'm interested in everyone's opinion as to whether I am being too heavy handed.  I tried very hard not to be greedy or unfair, and I think what I have done is reasonable and fair, however I'm curious about your opinions.

1) carpets - tenants had 2 dogs and carpets were left extremely dirty and soiled.  Lease stated that a professional carpet cleaning was to be done upon move-out, which tenants did not do.  Cost of this cleaning was withheld from security deposit.

2) housecleaning service - upon tenant move-in, a professional cleaning service was done.  Upon tenant move-out, unit was not left in that same condition.  Dirt and debris on the kitchen floors, smears of food in the fridge/freezer, dirty oven, cobwebs in the corner ceiling, drips of oil down the garage walls.  Cost of this cleaning was withheld from security deposit.

3) Drywall repair/re-painting - tenants installed shelving into 2 bedroom closets, then removed them and attempted to plaster over the holes.  There is visible drywall damage and holes in the drywall, as well as white plaster spots.  One of the bedrooms was painted a different color, which I verbally approved with the tenant and in the same conversation she agreed the room would be re-painted to the original color before she moved out.  Contractor's estimate is $800 for labor to repair and re-paint both closets and the bedroom.

The 3rd item, drywall/painting, is the one the tenant has the heartburn about.  Obviously she's not happy about the first two but she conceded in her email those fees.  I have extensive photos and documentation with the receipts and estimates which I have provided to the tenant.  I got a second estimate for the drywall/painting which was within $100 of the first, so I don't get the feeling this estimate is outrageous as she is claiming.

In hindsight, we should have done a move-in checklist as well as documented the agreement about her re-painting the room.  Lease does state that tenant must get owner's written approval for painting which was not done.

There were other damages that I didn't charge them for - such as a gouge in the wood floor, kitchen walls that they tried to plaster and paint on their own but did a crappy job and used the wrong color paint, etc.  As I said, I had every intention to be fair yet reasonable, and I would like some objective opinions about this.

Thanks for reading!
Maggie

Loading replies...