Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Andrea Jones
  • Middlefield, OH
Votes |
Do you feel that 'too' many questions are indicative to potential picky tenant?

Andrea Jones
  • Middlefield, OH
Posted Dec 21 2014, 16:21

I'm reading through old threads, which made me wonder if seasoned landlords are able to sniff out tenants that will be too needy, complaining about every little thing, or asking for extras after signing lease.

I have been breeding dogs for about 10 years. Before I let anyone adopt a puppy, I ask lots and lots of questions to feel them about. My friends tease me, that it's like an FBI investigation. But I need to make sure our babies will have wonderful forever homes. In return, I sometimes get people asking me just as many questions back. So what I did was take every question I could think of and answer it on my site, and that cut down on the same emails over and over again.

What I noticed and another breeder friend confirmed is that the adopters who asked the most questions, like emails all day every day before they commit, were the ones who would come back to haunt us. I am very detailed with adopters regarding how we raise them, what they can expect from a puppy, how they are like unruly toddlers for about 2 years before they settle, etc. But then I get frantic emails about how their new 8 week old puppy is viciously biting them (LOL), after they sign a contract stating puppies mouth and have needle sharp teeth. Then emails complaining that the puppy ruined their new carpet buy peeing on it, etc etc. 

The ones who asked only a few but the more important questions (about parents health, etc) are dream clients.  I get pics at the puppies grow, and often referrals because we take what we do serious and have a good 'product' so to speak. I learned avoid certain potential clients. 

1)  Those who ask too many questions, ones that anyone looking to get a dog should know already.

2) Those who ask for a discount because they can't afford our price. 

The above two scenarios seem to me like they may also apply to screening tenants as well?

A tenant who asked a lot questions of questions that were already covered in your ad. If they don't bother to read or absorb what is being told to them, will they end up complaining about everything under the sun once they're in.

Or if a tenant says the deposit is too high, will they be able to afford the rent down the road? 

For you long term landlords, do you have any clear signs that tenants will be too needy?

Loading replies...