Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Rabinowitz
  • Investor/Landlord
  • Farmington Hills, MI
Votes |
Rent is current. Tenant wants to renew. I won't. Am I nuts?

Jeff Rabinowitz
  • Investor/Landlord
  • Farmington Hills, MI
Posted Jan 30 2015, 18:12

This may be the strangest thing I have ever encountered in my time as a landlord. Here's a little background info: This property is managed by my property manager. It is rented at the highest amount it ever has been. The tenant has lived there since Nov. 2013, keeps the home nice, and has never been more than a few days late with the rent. 

The tenant has made several maintenance complaints. Most have been about the orange color of the water. This house has a well, water softener and house filter. The tenant apparently has to be reminded every 3 months or so to change the filter which always solves the problem. The last time this happened they threatened to call a lawyer because it was dangerous for their baby daughter. They have also threatened to report us to the City because the furnace isn't vented to code (it is) and the chimney is falling down (a couple bricks spalled, the chimney is fine.) They complain about this and that. The odd thing is they will no longer let my property manager send his maintenance man over to address anything. They insist on a professional well man, electrician, HVAC so the small complaints can't be addressed. I really don't care. The PM fields the calls, not me.

This one bothered me though. A couple months ago they reported that there was water damage in a back room. This is an enclosed porch that is unheated. That makes it a 3 season room (the home is in Michigan) It is drywalled and carpeted--it is actually pretty nice. Most tenants have used it as a storage room. When they reported the water they were mad because some belongings were damaged. We responded immediately. They let the maintenance man see this--he knew the job was beyond him and we got a contractor out for a quote immediately.

The contractor thinks he knows how to repair this. I authorized the repair. The tenant won't let the contractor in because he doesn't think he is an expert (he kinda is.) The PM has made two more attempts to schedule the repair. The tenant says no.

There is some damage to the drywall and the carpet may need to be replaced but the lease expires at the end of March, 2015. I told the PM to just wait them out. We'll be able to get in there soon.

The PM sent out their standard notice about the lease expiring soon and the tenant responds back that they are renewing. No they are not. I made it clear to the PM that I will not renew the lease if they won't allow me to make repairs. I have never had a situation like this before. I know this is long and I probably should have turned it into a blog (maybe I did) but I thought some of you might be amused. Just wanted to share.

Loading replies...