Votes
Alan Clarke
  • Little Rock, AR
Votes |
Property Manager and Insurance question

Alan Clarke
  • Little Rock, AR
Posted Feb 11 2015, 08:48

I am about to rent my first house and I will be using a property manager, I have some question about the contract.  The hold harmless part states:

HOLD HARMLESS:  OWNER (me) agrees, at OWNER'S expense, to indemnify and save the AGENT FOR OWNER (pm) harmless from any claims or damages, including, but not limited to costs, expenses, and reasonable attorney fees and accounts thereof, that may be made by anyone in the connection with the management of the property and/or injuries suffered by employees or any person whomsoever, and to carry, at OWNER'S expense, Comprehensive General Liability Insurance with limits of $300,000 death or injury, and $100,000 property damage, The AGENT FOR OWNER shall be named as an additional insured under OWNER'S policies at OWNER'S expense unless such naming is contrary to the Insurance Company's established procedure.  In the event this insurance is canceled, a thirty (30) day written notice of cancellation will be sent to the AGENT FOR OWNER, and the AGENT FOR OWNER is specifically authorized to place , at OWNER'S expense, liability coverage if a copy of any existing liability policy is not furnished to AGENT FOR OWNER within thirty (30) days after the effective date of this agreement.

Is this normal practice?  I know I should have Liability Insurance to cover my house and myself but is it normal to include the PM on my insurance too.  Shouldn't the PM have their own insurance to protect them from incident?  What if I have a problem with the PM, what protects me from them if they make a mistake.

I will have more question to follow, so I thank you for your time.

Loading replies...