General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Roy Gutierrez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Oak Park, MI
Votes |
Rent to someone with an eviction - crazy?

Roy Gutierrez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Oak Park, MI
Posted Mar 1 2015, 08:53

Hi guys,

I put up my current home up for rent and as a twist I decided I'll give it a shot and also offer the house furnished and bump up the price (around $350/month extra) since the house is nicely decorated and has everything a renter would need and it's updated. Well, one guy responded, he's the only one that responded and I know it's because the furnished and high rent b/c the area is hot for renters. He seems perfect as a renter, professional, good income job, no pets, low key, willing to give first, last, and deposit. BUT... he went thru a divorce a couple of years ago and you know how that goes, lost job, bad credit AND the biggie, an EVICTION, checking him saw "FORCIBLE ENTRY/DETAINER", if I'm incorrect on this one let me know but from checking the net seems like he was evicted and he wouldn't leave.  Monday I'll call up the lady/place and double check.  

My options: just let him go (which is probably what I will do) but I was thinking, he's not going thru the financial problems he was going thru before, if I can have him put into escrow 2 months rent that would go toward unpaid rent (assuming it's legal, kind of the time it would take me to evict him if somehow it got that point), apart from the first,last,deposit, would you guys ever consider that? 

Loading replies...