Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Kendall Roberts
  • El Cajon, CA
Votes |
Tenant has new boyfriend inhabiting rental...what to do??

Kendall Roberts
  • El Cajon, CA
Posted Mar 9 2015, 20:45

My husband and I converted our first home to a rental a little over a year ago.  The initial screening process was an eye opener, and we quickly learned that professional/stable people are few and far between.  Our property is located in a rural area of San Diego.  We purchased the house in 2009 for $120,000, and we are currently renting it for $1375 per month.  The tenants we placed in the property were a young engaged couple with a mother as a co-signer and the one ultimately responsible for paying the rent.  We enjoyed an entire year of "mom" paying rent a week before it was due, until last month when we received rent three days late (not terrible I know, but very outside the norm).  After multiple unanswered texts and messages to the daughter I called mom and found out that she was only going to pay half of the rent going forward, and eventually stopping once the girl had found a full time job.  To make matters worse the couple who were originally engaged are now split up, and the girl has a new boyfriend living in the house.  The only people currently on the rental agreement (month to month) are the mother and daughter.  

Now for the question.  The mother will eventually need to be removed from the agreement as she will no longer be paying any portion of the rent.  At that time I do not believe that the daughter or new boyfriend will meet minimum criteria to qualify to rent the house.  My question is what should we do in the meantime??  Update the rental agreement now adding the boyfriend, and then re-do when the mother is no longer willing to co-sign (however they probably won't qualify)?  

Any advice would be most welcome and appreciated.

Thank you,

Kendall

Loading replies...