• Engineer
  • Visalia, CA
Votes |
First time landlord choosing between three tenants - Pacific NW

Daniel Teran
  • Engineer
  • Visalia, CA
Posted Mar 22 2015, 21:58

I am renting my house for the first time and held an open house today. I received a very positive response with 7 applicants which is slightly overwhelming to say the least.  I have it narrowed down to three but am in a situation where I am having trouble deciding who would be best.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Here is a quick overview of the three candidates:

#1 - Family of four with two older sons.  They are relocating because of work which according to the rental history seems to move them every couple years but is a secure job.  They make 5 times the rent.  They look to be a safe bet for a couple years.

#2 - Family of seven.  Moving because landlord is selling the house.  They have lived at the same place for 8 years and after talking with their current landlord they always pay on time and have rarely called for any maintenance.  He also said they were very clean and respectful and he would be returning their entire security deposit.  The one issue is they have bad credit.  They meet the income requirement but no long term job history and is construction based.  The fact that they haven't missed a payment in 8 years is great and they look to be a family that would be long term.

#3 - Young family of three - This is my wild card.  Applicants filled out the forms and then let me know they want the house and offered to pay 10% more then the listed rent, put down additional deposits and sign a longer lease then the 1 year we were asking for.  The one problem is they are young, just out of school and job doesn't pay more then three times the rent but he said he receives a large amount of capital gains that would then qualify him.  He also has more then enough money in his bank account to cover the entire lease.  It doesn't sound like he would renew the lease so would only be there for 18 months.  This one is making my head spin.

Thanks for the help!

Loading replies...