BiggerPockets

Why do landlords pay for the tenants' water?

Forum Powered By:

9 posts by 8 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Account Closed

Indianapolis, Indiana

Apr 22 '08, 08:44 AM

I notice that water is paid by the landlord sometimes. Why and how would this benefit the landlord?

Edited Jun 26 2010, 05:05

Anthony Stokes

Real Estate Investor from Auburn Hills, Michigan

Apr 22 '08, 09:22 AM

The water bill will always be attached to the property. Landlords pay the water because they do not trust the tenant to be responsible enough to pay it. If a landlord allows the tenant to pay the water and they continue to ignore the bill for whatever reasons, the landlord will have to eventually come out of pocket to clear it up :pissed:. One way to avoid having a large bill if you decide to have the tenant pay water, is to make the tenant get the water bill transferred in their name like all the other utilities.

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Apr 22 '08, 12:19 PM

Some areas require the water stay in the owners name. Others allow it to be transfered to the tenant. IMHO, you want the tenant to pay. Some areas allow a " landlord account" or " third party notification" that will cause it to revert to your name if the tenant doesn't pay.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Tom C

Real Estate Investor from Ohio

Apr 22 '08, 07:07 PM

In my area the landlord pays the water when it is multifamily and one meter or when the landlord does not have a dwelling permit and doesn't want the city to find out that they renting the place without one. In order for a tenant to get the water put in their name, they must show a lease agreement, then the water dept checks for a dwelling permit, if there isn't one, they contact the health dept and all hell breaks loose.

Bob McIntosh

Real Estate Investor from Hoboken, New Jersey

Apr 22 '08, 08:15 PM

In my hometown if the tenant fails to pay for the water it is still attached to the landlord, and after enough time the city will place a lein against the property for the amount owed to the city for the water. More often than not, if the landlord is paying for the water then the rent has been increased to cover the average cost of the water being used. While this may not always be the case, it is what I have seen most often.

Eric Wang

Real Estate Investor from San Jose, California

Apr 22 '08, 09:59 PM

Landlord pays since there is only 1 water meter to multi unit. Benefit would be the tax write off. Multi units in my area usually includes water and garage, so thats something I include in the rent and tenants like the fact it's included in the rent.

Lynn Z

Apr 26 '08, 09:08 AM

Yeh, tenants love the fact that water is included in the rent so they can bring their friends laundry over and wash their cars for " free" at their apartments.
Don't you just love em? In our city we used the revert to landlord program. I really didn't know it existed for awhile because they used to refuse to do it.

Water department no longer goes against the landlord for the unpaid bills.
What a relief.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 05:06

Christian Malesic

Real Estate Investor from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Apr 26 '08, 10:08 AM

We bought a 2 unit with a $4k water bill! It was attached to the property even though the seller (landlord) had a tenant pays clause in his lease.

We did not have to pay it, the seller did at the closing table; but, it is a scary thought.

In our area water bills must be in the owners name and sent to the owner address. In one of the municipalities it is quarterly whereas the others are monthly. Thus, to have the tenant pay it is usually done as a reimbursement as the owner needs to pay the bill within a deadline and the tenants are not that fast.

Lynn Z

Apr 26 '08, 06:42 PM

My sister had a graduate student who rented a small house for a year and he had failed to pay the water bill for 8 months. She found out because we got a contract on the house and they didn't want to cut the water on for the new owner without that bill being paid.

She and her husband when down there and I ran into a university job locator who happened to mention where in New England he was working. When the water department got all of the information they didn't insist that the owner pay. The sewer for that area requires that it only be in the owner's name so that must be paid quarterly, scanned and paid by the tenant the next month.

If I went two months without paying my water bill they would cut off my water but some people get by with it. We always spell it out in the lease which utilities they pay but sometimes they're hopeful it's you.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums