• Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Unfair competition - cable and internet

Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Mar 26 2015, 20:15

I have two recent applicants trying to negotiate with me on rent.  I was told that two nearby properties - not as nice location wise, nevertheless only three blocks away, are including free high speed internet and "premium" cable TV with HBO, ESPN, NFL RED ZONE etc etc etc...after some inquiries I came to find out both of these are four plexes and the owner lives in one of the units, rented additional digital cable boxes under his  own name but wired coaxial cables to each unit, and shared his WIFI password with his tenants.  So this is how the tenants are getting "FREE cable and internet", these landlords are paying probably $80, $100 total for a residential account.

We have had previous discussions in this forum on the various pros and cons of providing internet and cable to tenants...

Should Landlords Ever Provide Internet

Not trying to rehash that discussion.  Just wondering what my options are.

- Do I explain to these applicants that this is illegal?  That they are actually a party to cable theft?

- If I want to provide cable and internet myself (and there seems to be more people asking for it especially younger professionals looking at 1/1 or 2/1s in multi family buildings), so I figure I ought to investigate.  I think my other tenants in the area use DirecTV or Comcast for cable TV, and most everyone use Comcast for internet.  I assume I will need a commercial account priced based on number of users/tenants?

For those who do provide cable and internet to existing tenants for free (included in rent), do you find that it gives you a appreciable competitive advantage?  Is it worth it compared to the down side (liability, illegal downloads, cable theft, support nightmare, additional cost...)?

Loading replies...