• Investor
  • Seekonk, MA
Votes |
Cash for keys

Kevin Andrews
  • Investor
  • Seekonk, MA
Posted Apr 20 2015, 14:06

Hi folks. Got a question about a tenant who I would like to have move out of my 3 unit building. 

A little background first, this tenant started a bedbug breakout in the house (I know I can not evict for this reason, as it is considered retaliatory). Also, there are some items left outside in yard that she has been asked to pick up (matress, car parts, tires), and has yet to do so. She has always paid rent on time or within a few days late, so no issues with that. But she has had a dog in the apartment and also has housed others (her grown children, and a boyfriend). Both of these issues have since been remedied (or so I think). Anyways a couple of days ago the cops were called because the boyfriend was over the house and caused a scene, threatening my tenant and waking up the other two units at 1AM. 

Long story short, anytime I get a call from anyone in the triplex, it is about the 2nd floor. Other apartments, no issues whatsoever. So I would like these people to move out. 

Some ideas I was considering:

1. Saying that I have a family member (brother, his girlfriend, and his son) that needs a place to live and giving them 30 days to move out, (they are on a month to month agreement).

2. Giving them cash for keys - Give them their security deposit plus 200 bucks or so, if they leave within 2 weeks. I've read a few posts about this and am in the process of writing up some sort of agreement, but know not to give them the cash until they are outside and the apartment is in the condition specified in the agreement (clean, everything out, etc..).

3. Filing for an eviction for reason other than non-payment of rent because of the dog and the extra tenants. However, not sure if I can do this since the issues have been remedied already.

4. Doing a combination of the family member, giving her the 30 days required, but offering her cash if she can be out sooner. So saying, "Hey my brother needs a place to stay, I am giving you the required 30 day notice, but if you can be out within 2 weeks I'll give you 200 bucks (or 100??), plus your security deposit, less any damage." I figure this way so that they don't accept just the cash for keys and then not leave when agreed upon. 

So, what does everyone think?? Feedback please.

Thank you so much for reading and for the help. Appreciate it. 

Loading replies...